A.T. Pinnacles of Dan (1932)
The original route of the Appalachian Trail in Virginia crossed the Pinnacles of Dan, a route described by hikers at the time as second only to Mt. Katahdin for its difficulty and beauty. In 1952, the ATC moved the route of the Trail more than 50 miles north and west, abandoning this region of Southern Virginia and removing the Pinnacles from the Trail's route forever. Today the Pinnacles are accessible only by permit from the Danville water authority. This image comes from former ATC Chairman Myron Avery's personal scrapbooks in the ATC Archives.